Stephen Finucane <step...@that.guru> writes:

> On Tue, 2017-05-02 at 12:21 -0400, Aaron Conole wrote:
>> Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> writes:

>> > I wouldn't object to that, for well-organized series.
>> >
>> > Is there a way to automate applying a branch like this from
>> > email?  Or is it better to do them as pull requests (whether via
>> > email or Github)?
>>
>> I think patchwork provides access to the cover letter somehow.  I've
>> CC'd Stephen because he has a bit of experience with PW, and may be
>> able to comment on whether or not I'm just crazy.

Sorry for the late response.

> Patchwork 2.0 will. We're finishing up the release at the moment (RC
> this week. Final release some time later this month), but it'll allow
> downloading of entire series and displaying of cover letters. One of
> the Patchwork contributors has a sample instance up to browse [1].
>
> You should also check out 'git-pw' [2] (which I think Aaron has
> contributed patches to?). This relies on Patchwork 2.0, but it'll make
> downloading and applying a series as easy as:
>
>   git-pw series apply {seriesID}
>
> for a whole series, or:
>
>   git-pw patch apply {patchID}
>
> for a patch with its dependencies.
>
> I'll be sure to ping the list as soon as the 2.0 is released and the
> ozlabs instance bumped, which should be (fingers crossed) any week now.

Cool!  I look forward to it.  I checked out the patchwork-2.0 instance,
and was happy to see that it's possible to grab the 0/X cover letter.
That means we could implement something where we grab the series, and
use the cover letter at the merge message.  I'll find out whether there
can be a happy script / incantation to do that once ozlabs instance is
upgraded.