On Fri, 2017-08-18 at 21:27 +0000, Mark Michelson wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 18, 2017 at 4:09 PM Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 09:54:10PM +0000, Mark Michelson wrote:
> > > I debugged the problem further and I now have figured out that the
> >
> > problem
> > > has to do with a form feed character being present in the patch. The
> > > Patchwork server places the patch text inside an XML 1.0 document;
> >
> > however,
> > > form-feeds are illegal in XML 1.0 [2]. This makes the use of form feeds
> >
> > and
> > > the use of pwclient incompatible.
> >
> > Why not use XML 1.1?  It allows form feeds.
> >

> I don't know how viable that is. The XML version is hard-coded in Python's
> xmlrpclib code. As an experiment, I patched my local copy of xmlrpclib.py
> to use XML 1.1, but the server still responded with an XML 1.0 document, so
> the error still occurred. This would mean the server would need to be
> patched to send an XML 1.1 document, and you'd have to hope that the XML
> parser on the client side actually pays attention to the XML version.
>
> For now, I'll just go with the crowd and use curl + web browser.
> Mark

In case you didn't see [1], patchwork.ozlabs.org is now bumped to 2.0 and the
'git-pw' tool should handle this with aplomb. There's a temporary issue with
'git-pw' whereby the project must be configured as 'open vswitch' rather than
'openvswitch' [2], but that should be fixed in the next day or two.

We don't plan to do any more with the XML-RPC API and will likely remove it in
3.0. pwclient should stick around, assuming we get to rework it to use the REST
API, but git-pw should provide a more pleasant interface and is to be
preferred.

Hope this helps,
Stephen

[1] https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/809677/