> > Conclusion: A global other_config parameter to enable/disable vhostuser
> > IOMMU is sufficient. By default this could be OFF for now and changed
> > to ON when broken Qemu versions are largely gone.

> [Mooney, Sean K] hi yes I just responded to this before I saw your reply.
> A global option will be fine if we can confirm that enabling the iommu
> feature negotiation
> In ovs will not impact vms that do not have a virtualized iommu enabled in
> the Libvirt/ qemu commandline.
> I would personally consider it a driver bug if ovs advertised support for
> using a virtualized iommu and
> The driver in the guest requested it with our have an actual iommu present in
> the vm.

I agree. I think it is up to driver and Qemu VM to agree on whether it is OK to
use vIOMMU in the first place. If OVS as vhostuser supports vIOMMU, it will be
used, otherwise I would expect either of two things to happen:
1. Qemu falls back to vhostuser without IOMMU, or
2. Qemu fails to start the VM.

My guess would be the latter, but I do not know.

BR, Jan