> Gather 'round folks, and let me tell you the tale of a series long
> ago posted:
>
> https://mail.openvswitch.org/pipermail/ovs-dev/2016-August/321866.html
>
> Something... something ... black magic...
> I think the fchmod needs to happen after the bind for the permissions
> to actually be changed.  That's how the unit tests in that series are
> coded.

If you move fchmod after the bind, you get 0755 and not 0750 on my
system. It seems weird fchmod interacting with umask since it seems
like the whole purpose of chmod/fchmod are to change permissions
ignoring umask. You certainly aren't going to get the same behavior
with fchmod on a regular file anyway. It seemed like the patch that
specifically changed 0700 -> 0770 intended group permissions to always
be there. I can see arguments both ways, though. The problem with
modifying umask before calling is that you are changing the
permissions for every created file (log files, etc.). Maybe that isn't
a problem, I just know that it was something that came up in our
internal discussions hacking around things with umask.

Terry