Hi Mark,

Mark Michelson writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I have completed a *rough* POC of an OVN/OVS code split. You can find it
> at https://github.com/putnopvut/ovn.git
>
> Please take a look at the README file since that highlights how the
> split was done, as well as some known issues.
>
> My attitude towards this repo is that it is a throwaway prototype. It
> essentially proves the concept that OVN can include OVS as a git
> subtree, while not really attempting to do a production-ready job of
> doing so. There is a lot of unfinished work.

Thanks for starting this.

As others have noted, the git subtree is a strange sort of requirement.
Do you think it makes sense to have the ovs makefile install the
requisite utilites and man-page templates in known locations instead?
In that fashion, there's no need to have a separate clone of ovs, we can
just ensure that we've done an install of OVS and the build system can
search for the dependencies.

I think it might just be as simple as adding the needed pieces to the
various existing automake variables (scripts_SCRIPTS, scripts_DATA,
maybe MAN_FRAGMENTS, etc).  If that is acceptable and works, you could
include it as a temporary patch in the OVN split directory until it gets
merged to OVS mainline.  That way, we could apply to our tree, rather
than needing a separate clone of the ovs repo, and when other downstream
projects build there's no need to clone the repo again.  rpms and debs
could have -dev(el) versions that install those files.

I'm looking forward to the next spin, and hope that it will be based off
a newer cut of the openvswitch repository.

Have you thought about using the `git filter-branch` facility to try and
preserve history, as well?  I don't know how important you think it is
to try and keep the history, but it could be a way to take an existing
OVS repository and cut out all the non-OVN commits (which is a huge
number of them, true).  It might be a lot of work for not enough gain,
though.  Just a fleeting thought.