On Thu, Nov 19, 2020 at 10:43 AM Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:

> v1->v2:
>   - Applied several patches.
>   - New commit to add documentation for the system-userspace testsuite.
>   - New patches to improve the testsuite a couple of ways.
>   - Revised "Prepare for multiple northd types" to fix system-userspace
>     testsuite.
>   - Updated DDlog implementation of northd to match latest master.
>   - Updated copyright notices in DDlog implementation.
>
> v2->v3:
>   - Applied documentation patch.
>   - Added some test improvements to fix reported problems.
>   - Really updated copyright notices (didn't commit, last time).
>   - Correctly skip ddlog tests when ddlog not compiled.
>
> v3->v4:
>   - Fix dependencies for parallel build.
>   - Fix spelling error in documentation.
>   - Use --wait=sb, not --wait=hv, when no chassis are running.
>   - Fixed IGMP and MLD tests by porting commit 9d2e8d32fb98
>     ("ofctrl.c: Fix duplicated flow handling in I-P while merging
>     opposite changes."), which I had missed before.
>
> v4.1->v5:
>   - Drop patch for ACL log meters (this was included in v4.1 by mistake).
>   - In addition to waiting for database, also wait for ports to come up.
>   - New patch to support more arguments to wait_for_row_count that waiting
>     for ports indirectly needed.
>   - Port commit c29221d9322a ("Allow VLAN traffic when
> LS:vlan-passthru=true").
>   - Port commit 36a8745de859 ("Add support for DHCP options 28 (Broadcast
> Address)")
>   - Add patch to improve "ARP/ND request broadcast limiting" test.
>
> v5->v6:
>   - Applied and dropped patch for "test a == b".
>   - Applied and dropped patch to allow more args to wait_for_row_count().
>   - Applied and dropped ARP/ND broadcast test improvement patch.
>   - Fix whitespace in patch to export ddlog_warn() and ddlog_err().
>
> v6->v7:
>   - Fixed "make dist" (thanks to Numan for reporting this.)
>   - Fix probe interval setting (thanks to Numan again).
>   - Small amount of improvement of OVN DDlog code (use lambdas in more
> places).
>   - Fine-tuning of ovn-northd-ddlog code for jsonrpc session usage.
>   - Fix newline issues in tests reported by Dumitru.
>   - Add ack from Dumitru.

Thanks Ben for sending out v7.

I have few comments w.r.t to scaling.

1. In the last OVN weekly irc meeting, I had mentioned about
ovn-northd-ddlog taking a lot of time in the loop. I also shared the
scale test results with ddlog
(https://imgur.com/JJpsMhv)  and without ddlog (https://imgur.com/gmbhfoa).

I was able to come up with a dirty script which you can run locally.
This script creates OVN resources
250 times. As the scale increases you will notice the warning messages
in the ovn-northd-ddlog log file

***
timeval|WARN|Unreasonably long 1160ms poll interval (8ms user, 0ms system)
***

As the test progresses the time reported in the warning also increases
gradually and it reaches around 3500ms
in my setup.

I do not observe such warning messages with the c version of northd.

Can you please test it out locally with this script -
https://gist.github.com/numansiddique/1adf22cef57f6b125981b3581085694d

2. ovn-northd-ddlog is missing support for connecting to a raft cluster.

Thanks
Numan

Thanks
Numan