On 30 Jun 2021, at 11:43, Van Haaren, Harry wrote:

> [...]

And with the updated miniflow-parser-get we should be able to see it after the
logs have wrapped.

>>> Perfect is the enemy of good... I'd prefer focus on getting existing code
>>> changes
>> merged,
>>> and add additional (optional) parameters in future if deemed useful in real
>>> world
>> testing?
>>
>> True. Perhaps we have different use cases in mind. How do you expect
>> users to use this feature? Do you think production users will always
>> start with 'study'?
>
> I was expecting OVS users to be aware of what L2-4 traffic they're
> running, and to per-instance configure that statically for all datapath
> threads, for example by running the command below:
>
> $ ovs-appctl  dpif-netdev/miniflow-parser-set avx512_ipv4_udp
>
> There is an assumption here that all datapath threads handle
> the same outer traffic type. If that's not the case, we cannot manually
> set different MFEX impls to different pmd threads today, as your lab
> to production requirement requests above.
>
> If we add an optional PMD thread id parameter, we can support this:
> $ ovs-appctl  dpif-netdev/miniflow-parser-set avx512_ipv4_udp
> <packet_count_to_study> <pmd thread idx>

I think if we allow study to set it per PMD thread, we should support the pmd
thread for manual configuration.
We also might need to re-think the command to make sure packet_count_to_study
is only needed for the study command.
So the help text might become something like:

dpif-netdev/miniflow-parser-set {miniflow_implementation_name | study
[pkt_cnt]} [dp] [pmd_core]