On 6/28/21 8:05 AM, Han Zhou wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2021 at 2:38 PM Numan Siddique <num...@ovn.org> wrote:

> ports'
>>>>
>>> Thanks Dumitru for the fix and thanks Numan for the review.
>>>
>>> I battled with myself when deciding to allocate a new sset for the local
>>> ports' names at the I-P main iteration level. I did this because the
>>> current data structures maintaining the local bindings were already very
>>> complex, and the sset was not to maintain any extra information but just
>>> redundant information (for efficiency). So I decided to abstract this
> part
>>> as a helper function so that I don't add more complexity in the binding
>>> data structure, and other I-P engine nodes doesn't need to understand
> the
>>> internals of how the bindings are maintained in the bindings module.
>>> Regarding the cost, the local binding data should be small, and the sset
>>> allocation is at the main loop level, so really nothing to worry about
> the
>>> cost.
>>>
>>> However, I didn't think about the non-VIF use case of port-group, and
> the
>>> local_binding doesn't maintain non-VIF bindings, so came the bug. This
>>> patch fixes it by maintaining a sset that includes all types of lport
>>> names. It looks correct to me, but I have some comments:
>>>
>>> 1) The structures in bindings module is really complex and I spent a
> lot of
>>> time to understand it before, but when I am reviewing this patch I had
>>> spent some time again to understand it. There are fields in binding_ctx
>>> look quite similar, and the comments don't tell exactly the difference:
>>>
>>>     - struct local_binding_data *lbinding_data;
>>>     - struct sset *local_lports;
>>>     - struct sset *local_lport_ids;
>>>

>> I agree with the complexity and the naming confusion.
>>
>> I think local_lports and local_lport_ids have been maintained in the
>> binding code
>> since a long time and lbinding_data was added recently.
>>
>> I think there is a lot of redundant data which can be unified.
>>

>>> According to the code (and also the bug the patch is trying to fix),
>>> lbinding_data is supposed to maintain VIFs only.
>>
>> I agree.  "lbinding_data" is supposed to maintain local vif binding
> information.
>>
>>> local_lports maintains all types, but it maintains *potentially* local
> VIFs
>>> as well (meaning the VIF may not be bound locally yet). I was thinking
> if I
>>> could use local_lports directly. I think it would work, but just not
>>> accurate enough (maybe it doesn't really matter).
>>

>>> The local_lport_ids may look straightforward, which maintains generated
> id
>>> keys for local_lports, but the functions update_local_lport_ids() and
>>> remove_local_lport_ids() are not only updating the local_lport_ids, but
> [...]

Thanks Han and Numan for the reviews and discussion.  I went ahead and
sent v2 with the "related_lports" structure suggested above:

http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/ovn/list/?series=251337&state=*

I added comments to the new structure but indeed we likely need a follow
up patch to document more of the remaining structures in binding.h.

Regards,
Dumitru