OK, thanks - as I said on the call, I haven't looked at the patches.

Then, I suppose that the TX completions can be handled in the TX function, and
the RX completions can be handled in the RX function, just like the Ethdev PMDs
handle packet descriptors:

TX_Burst(tx_packet_array):
1.      Clean up descriptors processed by the NIC chip. --> Process TX DMA
channel completions. (Effectively, the 2nd pipeline stage.)
2.      Pass on the tx_packet_array to the NIC chip descriptors. --> Pass on
the tx_packet_array to the TX DMA channel. (Effectively, the 1st pipeline
stage.)

RX_burst(rx_packet_array):
1.      Pass on the finished NIC chip RX descriptors to the rx_packet_array.
--> Process RX DMA channel completions. (Effectively, the 2nd pipeline stage.)
2.      Replenish NIC chip RX descriptors. --> Start RX DMA channel for any
waiting packets. (Effectively, the 1nd pipeline stage.)

PMD_init():
-       Prepare NIC chip RX descriptors. (In other words: Replenish NIC chip RX
descriptors. = RX pipeline stage 1.)

PS: Rearranged the email, so we can avoid top posting.