On 10/19/22 10:12, Simon Horman wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 10:40:30AM -0400, Jamal Hadi Salim wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 9:00 AM Ilya Maximets <i.maxim...@ovn.org> wrote:
>>>

>> [..]
>>>
>>> IIRC, 'OK' action will stop the processing for the packet, so it can
>>> only be used as a last action in the list.  But we need to count packets
>>> as a very first action in the list.  So, that doesn't help.
>>>

>> That's why i said it is a bad code - but i believe it's what some of
>> the hardware
>> people are doing. Note: it's only bad if you have more actions after because
>> it aborts the processing pipeline.

>>> Will that help with offloading of that action?  Why the PIPE is not
>>> offloadable in the first place and will COUNT be offloadable?
>>
>> Offloadable is just a semantic choice in this case. If someone is
>> using OK to count  today - they could should be able to use PIPE
>> instead (their driver needs to do some transformation of course).
>
> FWIIW, yes, that is my thinking too.

I don't know that code well, but I thought that tcf_gact_offload_act_setup()
is a generic function.  And since it explicitly forbids offload of PIPE
action, no drivers can actually offload it even if they want to.
So it's not really a driver's choice in the current kernel code.  Or am I
missing something?

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.