Hi Tianyu,

On Thu, Nov 24, 2022 at 10:10 PM Tianyu Yuan <tianyu.y...@corigine.com>
wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 25, 2022 at 10:21 AM  Jamal Hadi Salim <j...@mojatatu.com>
> wrote:
>

> > I am not sure if the mlx5 changes will work since  they both seem to be
> calling
> > mlx5e_tc_act_get() which expects the act->id to exist in tc_acts_xxx
> tables,
> > meaning mlx5e_tc_act_get() will always return you NULL  and that check is
> > hit before you check for ACT_PIPE.

[..]

> Thanks Jamal for your review.
>
> About mlx5e_tc_act_get(), I'll later add PIPE action in tc_acts_nic so
> that mlx5e_tc_act_get() will return the right
> act_id.

Just noticed Vlad posted a patch for it ;->
I only looked at that change because i have that hardware and wanted to try
it out.
You are Ccing all the driver stakeholders hopefully they can double check.

> In driver we choose just ignore this gact with ACT_PIPE, so after parsing
> the filter(rule) from kernel, the remaining
> actions are just like what they used to be without changes in this patch.
> So the flow could be processed as before.

So in the simple case it is as if no action was specified?

> The connection between POLICE and ACT_PIPE may exist in userspace (e.g.
> ovs), we could put a gact (PIPE) at the
> beginning place in each tc filter. We will also have an OVS patch for this
> propose.

makes sense.

> I'm not very clear with your last case, but in expectation, the once the
> traffic is offloaded in h/w tc datapath, the
> stats will be updated by the flower stats from hardware. And when the
> traffic is using s/w tc datapath, the stats are
> from software.

My initial thought was you want to cover two scenarios:
1) pipe followed by police.
2) pipe alone

In both cases pipe serves as a placeholder for stats counters. That these
counters
come from hardware and will occasionally be updated to tc by the driver.
i.e if i get/dump the filter or pipe action stats i can see the hw count.
Am i correct? If the
answer is yes, then would i see the hw stats and not the sw stat updates?
Maybe if you have a filter dump in your test environment that you can show
it will
help satisfy my curiosity.

cheers,
jamal