Hey Frode, Dumitru, thanks a lot for initiating this

On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 6:05 PM Frode Nordahl <frode.nord...@canonical.com>
wrote:

> Hello, Dumitru, Daniel and team,
>
> On Thu, May 11, 2023 at 5:23 PM Dumitru Ceara <dce...@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Frode,
> >
> > During an internal discussion with RedHat OpenStack folks (Daniel in cc)
> > about scalability of OVN in OpenStack deployments I remembered that you
> > mentioned that you're thinking of enhancing ovn-heater in order to test
> > your types of deployments [0].  I assumed that those are also OpenStack
> > based deployments so I was wondering if there's an opportunity for
> > collaboration here.
>
> Thank you for reaching out to me on this topic. We do indeed have scale
> testing in the context of OpenStack on our roadmap and welcome the
> invitation to collaborate on this.
>
> As you know we did some preparation work together already as you refer
> to in [0], and we thank you for your help in upstreaming ovn-heater.
>
> We have yet to schedule exactly when in the cycle to work on this, I
> guess a next step could be to set up a meet to share some ideas and
> see how it aligns?

> If that resonates with you, I'd be happy to organize.

Sounds good, please do :)

> > Having OpenStack-like scenarios in ovn-heater would really allow OVN
> > developers to profile/troubleshoot/optimize OVN for those use cases too.
> >
> > Well, in general, the above is true for any other CMS too.
>
> Yes, this is what we have been thinking as well. We are supporting other
> products in their journey with OVN as well, so similar projects may come
> from those in the future.

Yes, we can try to model OpenStack-like scenarios for ovn-heater where the
resources are generally more distributed across the hypervisors than in k8s
for example, perhaps larger L2 domain sizes, etcetera.
Happy to discuss further!

daniel