On 5/23/23 16:16, Robin Jarry wrote:
> Aaron Conole, May 23, 2023 at 15:32:
>> I think one issue I have with this is that the name is a bit
>> misleading.  Control plane, from OVS perspective, would be like OpenFlow
>> communications.  This is more like a traffic steering mechanism.
>>
>> Maybe it would help to call it something like "traffic-based-rps" or
>> something like that (but not clear what would be best).  It is really a
>> way to steer specific traffic to a distinct rxq.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Actually, "packet-steering" was one of the first ideas I had for this
> feature, but I thought it may be confusing. I am weary of reusing the
> "rps" acronym as it may be confused with a linux specific feature:
>
> https://docs.kernel.org/networking/scaling.html#rps-receive-packet-steering
>
> The feature introduced in this patch is relying on RTE flow which has
> nothing to do with Linux. However, I agree that the name should reflect
> that we are steering traffic into a dedicated rxq. How about these
> ideas?

> I personally prefer "rxq-isolate".

'rxq-isolate' will be confused with 'other_config:pmd-rxq-isolate'.
Same likely goes for the 'isolated-rxq'.

'rxq-steernig' may be confused with 'other_config:tx-steering'.
But this can be argued that it's essentially similar functionality,
so should be named similarly.  Maybe we can double down on that and
use options:rx-steernig=rss|rss+lacp|...  with 'rss' being a default
configuration?

Best regards, Ilya Maximets.