On 6/12/23 20:29, Robin Jarry wrote:
> Hi Ilya,
>
> Ilya Maximets, Jun 12, 2023 at 17:47:
>> I'm a bit concerned that this patch is applying the same config
>> to all the .c|.h files in the repo while not all of them have
>> the same coding style.  The most obvious is that linux headers
>> are using tabs, not spaces.  Not so obvious - sFlow implementation
>> that was imported as-is from the other source.  There are some
>> other examples.
>
> I was not sure what these rules were so I went with what was written in
> the docs. Is there a place where these special cases are listed? If not,
> could you list them here so they can be made explicit?

The build-aux/initial-tab-allowed-files seems to list most of the
non-conventionally styled files.

> We can either put one .editorconfig file per subtree that has different
> indenting rules or we can list everything at the root.

Some files with different styles are in the same subtree, so describing
at the root sounds better.

>> I'm afraid that some editors will try to fix existing code while
>> saving unrelated changes.
>
> Editorconfig plugins are not automatic formatters. The only purpose of
> these is to automatically configure editors to use the project's
> preferences.

Well, AFAIU, for example, vim plugin will perform trimming of trailing
whitespaces in the whole file on save, if trim_trailing_whitespace is set.