Ilya Maximets, Sep 19, 2023 at 13:47:
> With flexibility of appctl comes absolutely no guarantee for API
> stability.  But as soon as we have structured output, someone will
> expect it.  If we can agree that users cannot rely on the structure
> of that structured output, then it's fine.  Otherwise, OVSDB with
> its defined schema is a much better choice, IMO.  Constructing a
> single 'select' transaction for OVSDB isn't really much more
> difficult than constructing an appctl JSON-PRC request.

I would argue that the ovsdb schema could also be modified so I guess
this comes up to deciding whether API can be broken or not.

However, going through ovsdb simply as an API proxy to query live stats
to ovs-vswitchd seems complex and not resource efficient. Especially if
the appctl socket is already available and allows to reach vswitchd
directly.

I think that for statistics, it would make more sense to go with the
lightweight option.