On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 6:09 PM Simon Horman <ho...@ovn.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 20, 2023 at 04:22:44PM +0200, Mohammad Heib wrote:
> > Store the igmp/mld protocol version into the
> > mcast_group internally.
> >
> > This can be used by ovs consumers to update
> > about the igmp/mld version of each group.
>
> Thanks Mohammad,
>
> I see in patch 2/2 that the user can now gain access to the igmp/mld
> version of each group. But I am wondering if we could add some text
> to the commit message to explain, perhaps via an example, why
> a user might want such information.

Hi Simon,

Thank you for the review.
actually, i don't really have a good reason why the user will need the
group protocol in OVS stand-alone case,
but I'm trying to expand that here and save the protocol because i need it
in the OVN/OVS case where we store
each Mcast group information inside ovn-sb DB as raw in *the MCAST_GROUP*
table, and i have to expose a protocol version
for each Group in this table, cause OVN relies on the ovs mcast
implementation to maintain this table, i thought this would be the cleaner
way to accomplish that.

so now i don't really know which example can be good to add :(
do you think adding a small example of extracting the protocol will be good
enough?

Thanks,