What does "if only the microflow cache works" mean?

sorry to confuse you. I'm not good at English.

In the paper, the authors say that at start of ovs implementation, there
has been microflow cache(EMC), but megaflow wasn't implemented.

At that time, they say  there was a problem caused by short lived
connections.

I want to know the problem detail. I guess that the problem made ovs get
flow rules from userlevel, and that made performance degradation.

also I want to know that when not using megaflow, are there big difference
in aspect of number of flow rules.If there are the big difference, can you
tell me the difference in numbers?