On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:54 AM, Darrell Ball <db...@vmware.com> wrote:

> *From: *Hui Xiang <xiangh...@gmail.com>
> *Date: *Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 6:59 PM
> *To: *Darrell Ball <db...@vmware.com>
> *Cc: *"ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org" <ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK IP fragmentation require
>

> On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 1:12 AM, Darrell Ball <db...@vmware.com> wrote:
>

> *From: *Hui Xiang <xiangh...@gmail.com>
> *Date: *Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:18 AM
> *To: *Darrell Ball <db...@vmware.com>
> *Cc: *"ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org" <ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org>
> *Subject: *Re: [ovs-discuss] OVS-DPDK IP fragmentation require
>

> Blow is the diagram (using OVS-DPDK):
>

> 1. For packets coming to vm1 from internet where could have MTU 1500,
> there could be including some fragmented packets,
>
>     how does the ALC/Security groups handle these fragmented packets? do
> nothing and pass it next which may pass the packets
>
>     should be dropped or any special handling?
>

> Lets assume the fragments get thru. the physical switch and/or firewall.
>

> Are you using DPDK in GW and using OVS kernel datapath in br-int where you
> apply ACL/Security groups policy ?
>
> All are using DPDK, the ACL/Security groups policy said is OVS-DPDK
> conntrack implementation.
>
> With the case that we should have dropped some packets by creating special
> security group rules, but now due to they are fragmented and get thru by
> default, this is not what is expected.
>

> I would check your configuration.
>
> The dpdk connection tracker marks fragments as ‘invalid’ today and your
> rules should drop ‘invalid’.

OK, thanks. here are the two scenarios we are discussing:
1. For packets out from vms, use Jumbo Frame supported physical
switches/routers within OpenStack cloud and enable it in all OVS-DPDK or do
not allow application to send large frames.
2. For packets coming from internet to OVS-DPDK, fragmented packets could
be arrived, they are all dropped due to marks as 'invalid'.
 With above analysis,  if these fragments are marked as 'invalid' and being
dropped, the best way I can think about is to not use security group in
OVS-DPDK if there could be fragments generated.

Please correct me if I misunderstand anything.