Hi,

The current solution for running OVS with non-root user in Fedora makes it not
possible to support UIO drivers [1].
Setting the user to root:root via /etc/sysconfig/openvswitch should be a
solution, but it is also currently broken, since the systemd
ovs-vswitchd.service is forcing the group :hugetlbfs to /dev/hugepages [2],
which breaks root access to it.
Would it be possible to change the permissions only if the user in not root?
Currently I can only make UIO work on fedora removing this hardcoded
permissions on the systemd files. I believe that either root:root should not
conflict with the systemd script or be explicitly unsupported.

[1] For Linux kernel 4.0 and newer, the ability to obtain physical page frame
numbers for unprivileged users from /proc/self/pagemap was removed.
Source.
http://dpdk.org/browse/dpdk/commit/?id=cdc242f260e766bd95a658b5e0686a62ec04f5b0
[2] ExecStartPre=-/usr/bin/chown :hugetlbfs /dev/hugepages.
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/rhel/usr_lib_systemd_system_ovs-vswitchd.service.in

Regards,

Marcos Schwarz

Coordenador de P&D | R&D Coordinator
Gerência de Redes para Experimentos (GRE) / Management of Network for
Experiments
Diretoria de Pesquisa & Desenvolvimento (DPD) / Research & Development
Department
RNP – Rede Nacional de Ensino e Pesquisa
http://www.rnp.br | Telefone: +55 (19) 3787 3386 | Skype: marcos.f.sch
Campinas - SP - Brasil | E-mail: marcos.schw...@rnp.br