> On May 11, 2018, at 3:00 AM, Jakub Libosvar <jlibo...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> it seems I hit a bug when trying to implement a fix in OpenStack Neutron
> that uses heavily network namespaces with OVS internal ports in them.
>
> Ports attached to OVS bridge that are placed in network namespace can't
> have their status changed using 'ovs-ofctl mod-port' command.
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
> ovs-vsctl add-br test-br
> ovs-vsctl add-port test-br test-port -- set Interface test-port
> type=internal
> ip net a test-ns
> ip l s test-port netns test-ns
> ovs-ofctl mod-port test-br test-port up
>
> -- check that port is still down
> ip net e test-ns ip l sh test-port
>    test-port: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST> <--- port is still DOWN

I think this is expected behavior.  You're moving the port into a different
namespace from ovs-vswitchd, so the port doesn't actually exist in its view
anymore.  (You probably don't get interface counters either and it won't show
up in utilities like ifconfig.)  However, ovs-vswitchd still has a handle to
the interface so that it can send and receive traffic.  The advantage is that
you get much better performance than something like veths, but you do get some
weirdness like this, since its sort of breaking the namespace model.

--Justin