Hello-

I have a multi-node cluster, each node with a physical NIC connected to a
trunk port on a switch, and with OVS on each node that has the physical NIC
as a port on a bridge. I'm able to run multiple VMs on each node using
multiple VLANs scheduled throughout the cluster, and I have no problems at
all with connectivity between VMs on the same VLANs but on different nodes
(ie. the VLANs and trunks are working as expected).

I'm attempting to get mirroring of all the traffic in a VLAN to another
VLAN working, but I've only been partially successful. Here's a contrived
scenario that explains my test setup:

3 nodes: A, B, and C
3 experiment VMs: X, Y, and Z
1 capture VM: CAP
1 experiment VLAN: 101
1 RSPAN VLAN: 201

Each experiment VM is scheduled on a different node: X -> A, Y -> B, Z -> C
The capture VM is scheduled on node C: CAP -> C

Each experiment VM has a tap on the OVS bridge for the experiment VLAN 101.
The capture VM has a tap on the OVS bridge for the RSPAN VLAN 201.

All 3 of the experiment VMs can successfully communicate with each other
over experiment VLAN 101 across nodes.

On each node, I add an OVS mirror to SPAN experiment VLAN 101 traffic to
RSPAN VLAN 201 using the command below. In the command, the eno1 interface
is the physical interface on the node that is trunked to the physical
switch.

ovs-vsctl \
  -- --id=@trunk get port eno1 \
  -- --id=@m create mirror name=m0 select-src-port=@trunk
select-dst-port=@trunk select-vlan=101 output-vlan=201 \
  -- set bridge br0 mirrors=@m

After configuring the above mirror on each node and running tcpdump on the
capture VM interface connected to the RSPAN VLAN 201, I only see traffic
sourced by and destined to the experiment VM running on the same node (ie.
VM "Z" on node "C").

Since each node is dumping mirrored traffic onto the RSPAN VLAN 201, I was
hoping to see all experiment VLAN 101 traffic across all 3 nodes in the
capture VM.

Does anyone know why this isn't working as expected? Or perhaps it is
working as expected and I'm just out of luck? Is it the case where the
RSPAN VLAN 201 has to be configured as an RSPAN VLAN in the physical switch
as well? I cannot test this theory right now because I do not have a
physical switch capable of RSPAN configuration.