> Here is the thinking on this one. The presence of pid file and the validation
> that the process listed in the pid file are process checks. If the process is
> 0, then it is down and one can monitor for that. Also, if the process ID of a
> subsystem (say OVN NB) changed, then it means that service was restarted. I
> guess the alert would be if a process is 0 or if the process ID changed, then
> alert.

Does it possible to monitor ovn service uptime? If uptime bigger then
before - service is restarted.

> Per the log files. It happened on a number of occasions that a subsystem
> crashed, but its process was still running. One way of detecting something
> like that is watch for the log file being stale, i.e. log size does not
> increment. There are obviously other ways to monitor that. Also, any spike in
> log activity, i.e. sudden large increase in log file size, means something is
> happening and it worth looking into it.

I think that it is not right way. Sometimes i want to write logs to
syslog or journald...

> > also system run dir. May be to monitor disk
> space, but i'm confused.
>
> That's really informational. Kinda know where system dir is.

For what this mertic can be used? If i have debian and fedora systems
and this dir may changed over distributions....

--
Vasiliy Tolstov,
e-mail: v.tols...@selfip.ru