On Wed, Dec 19, 2018 at 01:08:47AM +0000, Davis, Matthew wrote:
> *        What is the full list of possible types for a port? I know of
> dpdkvhostuserclient, dpdkvhostuser and internal. What are the other types?

See ovs-vswitchd.conf.db(5).

> *        Every bridge example I've seen has `datapath_type=netdev`. What
> other datapath_types are there?

See ovs-vswitchd.conf.db(5).

> *        How is the development process supposed to work? The site has a
> "fork on github" button, but this
> page<http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/internals/contributing/submitting-patches/>
>  says to send patches via email, but it also says that Github submission are
> the right way.

I'm pretty sure that page is all about how to send patches.  It starts
out with "Send changes to Open vSwitch as patches to
d...@openvswitch.org. One patch per email. More details are included
below."

I don't think there's any way to prevent forking on Github.

> *        Where are logs saved? The docs don't say. After looking around I've
> found that today it is /usr/local/var/log/openvswitch, but yesterday it was
> /var/log/openvswitch . Why does it choose one of those locations over the
> other?

The default is whatever you passed to configure with --with-logdir.  You
can override that at runtime with --log-file.

> *        The "Basic configuration FAQ" talks about "access ports". What is an
> "access port"? How does it differ from other kinds of ports?

See ovs-vswitchd.conf.db(5).

http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/faq/vlan/ also has an introduction
to VLANs.

> Other documentation improvement ideas:
>
> *        There are two entries for `ovsdb` on this
> page<http://docs.openvswitch.org/en/latest/ref/>. They should be merged or
> relabelled uniquely.

One is ovsdb(5), the other is ovsdb(7).  I don't know how to make the
rST compilation process distinguish them.

> *        High level documents like Why
> OVS<https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/blob/master/Documentation/intro/why-ovs.rst>
>  talk about accounting and visibility, but the docs provide almost no
> instructions on how to actually get statistics out of OVS. There should be a
> FAQ or guide about how to find out stats. E.g. I'm trying to find out what
> the bottleneck in my system is, and nothing in the docs helps me find that
> out.

You can use whatever you use for other OpenFlow switches.  OVS is an
OpenFlow implementation and it's not the primary goal of the
documentation to provide OpenFlow tutorials.

> *        The "Basic configuration FAQ" should have a more basic example,

ovs-vsctl(8) has tons of simple configuration examples.  The FAQ is
really there to answer questions that we used to get a lot.

> *        The logo up the top of the readthedocs page links to
> https://openvswitch.org/ instead of https://www.openvswitch.org/ .
> Consequently, the user is presented with a full page certificate error

Thanks, I think I've fixed that now.