On 6/14/2019 10:55 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 09:30:18AM -0700, Gregory Rose wrote:
On 6/4/2019 11:38 AM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 06:08:00PM +0000, Eli Britstein wrote:
On 6/4/2019 8:24 PM, Ben Pfaff wrote:
On Tue, Jun 04, 2019 at 03:13:02PM +0000, Eli Britstein wrote:
Hello,

I would like to configure a GRE tunnel over IPv6, on a Linux system.
However, I encounter the following:

My command:
ovs-vsctl add-port br1 gre6 -- set interface gre6 type=ip6gre

Output:
ovs-vsctl: Error detected while setting up 'gre6': could not add network
device gre6 to ofproto (Address family not supported by protocol).  See
ovs-vswitchd log for details.
ovs-vsctl: The default log directory is "/var/log/openvswitch".

In the log:
bridge|WARN|could not add network device gre6 to ofproto (Address family
not supported by protocol)

I notice that if I want to define a ip6gretap with “ip link”, there is a
need to use “-6” option, to set the correct family.

Is there a way to note the correct family (though I think should be
implicit by “ip6gre”)? Or maybe some other configuration?
OVS doesn't have an "ip6gre" interface type.  Just use "gre".
I see it does in lib/netdev-vport.c, line 1222. Isn't that ip6gre?
Um, that's weird.  We don't document it.  I thought for sure that we
tried to make our "regular" tunnels just accept both IPv4 and IPv6
addresses.
Hmm, no documentation.  Uh, that's not good.  I'll check that.
Did you get a chance to take a look?  It would be good to improve the
documentation.

My apologies but no, not yet.  I have this task flagged and will get to it sooner rather than later.

Meanwhile, there seems to be a gap between out of tree OVS capabilities with ip6gre and what is upstream.  I can document what our out of tree kernel drivers can do but will need to investigate further for what is going on with the
upstream ip6 gre.

Thanks,

- Greg