On Mon, Jul 08, 2019 at 06:19:23PM -0700, Han Zhou wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 6:44 AM Ben Pfaff <b...@ovn.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jun 25, 2019 at 01:05:21PM +0200, Daniel Alvarez Sanchez wrote:
> > > Lately we've been trying to solve certain issues related to stale
> > > entries in the MAC_Binding table (e.g. [0]). On the other hand, for
> > > the OpenStack + Octavia (Load Balancing service) use case, we see that
> > > a reused VIP can be as well affected by stale entries in this table
> > > due to the fact that it's never bound to a VIF so ovn-controller won't
> > > claim it and send the GARPs to update the neighbors.
> > >
> > > I'm not sure if other scenarios may suffer from this issue but seems
> > > reasonable to have an aging mechanism (as we discussed at some point
> > > in the past) that makes unused/old entries to expire. After talking to
> > > Numan on IRC, since a new pinctrl thread has been introduced recently
> > > [1], it'd be nice to implement this aging mechanism there.
> > > At the same time we'd be also reducing the amount of entries for long
> > > lived systems as it'd grow indefinitely.
> > >
> > > Any thoughts?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Daniel
> > >
> > > PS. With regards to the 'unused' vs 'old' entries I think it has to be
> > > 'old' rather than 'unused' as I don't see a way to reset the TTL of a
> > > MAC_Binding entry when we see packets coming. The implication is that
> > > we'll be seeing ARPs sent out more often when perhaps they're not
> > > needed. This also leads to the discussion of making the cache timeout
> > > configurable.
> >
> > I've always considered the MAC_Binding implementation incomplete because
> > of this issue and others.  ovn/TODO.rst says:
> >
> >     * Dynamic IP to MAC binding enhancements.
> >
> >       OVN has basic support for establishing IP to MAC bindings
> dynamically, using
> >       ARP.
> >
> >       * Ratelimiting.
> >
> >         From casual observation, Linux appears to generate at most one
> ARP per
> >         second per destination.
> >
> >         This might be supported by adding a new OVN logical action for
> >         rate-limiting.
> >
> >       * Tracking queries
> >
> >          It's probably best to only record in the database responses to
> queries
> >          actually issued by an L3 logical router, so somehow they have to
> be
> >          tracked, probably by putting a tentative binding without a MAC
> address
> >          into the database.
> >
> >       * Renewal and expiration.
> >
> >         Something needs to make sure that bindings remain valid and
> expire those
> >         that become stale.
> >
> >         One way to do this might be to add some support for time to the
> database
> >         server itself.
> >
> >       * Table size limiting.
> >
> >         The table of MAC bindings must not be allowed to grow
> unreasonably large.
> >
> >       * MTU handling (fragmentation on output)

> [...]

I had not thought that far ahead!  That approach would work, although
the trigger percentage would be difficult to figure out--it seems like
really we'd want "every Nth second", not "every Nth packet".  Another
approach that might work would be for ovn-controller to notice the
statistics on appropriate OpenFlow flows changing, or to use "learn"
actions as a way to make a controller action trigger only every so
often.