Thanks for the quick answer

On 22 May, Ben Pfaff wrote:
> It's been discussed a couple of times, but with no strong
> conclusion.  The biggest issue with email is that mailing lists are hard
> to administer.
>
> Github PRs would be OK.
>
> I do not like Gerrit: https://benpfaff.org/writings/gerrit.html

Fair enough, it was an interesting read.
I hope you look again at newer gerrit releases from time to time. Some
of your objections have been fixed. (gerrithub.io should have an updated
version)

> The OVN branching model is documented, see
> Documentation/internals/release-process.rst.  There is a lot of other
> information on contributions in and under that directory.

Missed that. After learning the architecture I dived into the code.
I have a lot to read yet.

> In the medium to long term I'd like to switch away from C for this
> program.  String processing in C is silly.  I've been prototyping a
> switch to the declarative programming language DDlog.  The new version
> of the code that I've written for that is also more modular.

Understood, I see some threads now regarding this.
I heard about DDlog in some videos around, but I completely
misunderstood its purpose in OVN. I thought for some reason it was
used to increase performances in data transfers between DB and
controllers.

Thanks for the explanation and the pointer.
Adding to the queue of things to read.

> If this is a naming thing, that is, you think the tests shouldn't be
> called "unit tests", I will personally not argue.
>
> If you want to propose more granular tests, that's great.  I welcome
> more tests.

I find the definition of unit tests usually very loose. I would probably
call these component tests, but the naming is secondary, I wanted to
understand more the granularity, and the possibility to use mocks to
skip parts of the code to focus on the tested function.

Even if I was an expert on testing though, It's too soon for me to
suggest anything.
I'm mostly gathering information, and prefer to have a more complete
view before making any move.

Thanks for the reply, I have more directions now.