From: <ovn-kuberne...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of Casey Callendrello
<c...@redhat.com>
Date: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 at 7:37 AM
To: Tim Rozet <tro...@redhat.com>
Cc: Dumitru Ceara <dce...@redhat.com>, "ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org"
<ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org>, "ovn-kuberne...@googlegroups.com"
<ovn-kuberne...@googlegroups.com>, "Pan, Feng" <f...@redhat.com>
Subject: Re: RFC - OVN end to end packet tracing - ovn-global-trace

External email: Use caution opening links or attachments

Skydive would be awesome, but that's a lot of work to integrate. I'd love to
see it more widely deployed, but that hasn't happened.

For starters, ovn-kubernetes should probably come with some kind of ovn-trace
wrapper that has a bit more logic around it. I could imagine it looking
something like

and it would automatically execute the equivalent ovn-trace command, simulating
traffic from podname to dstip.

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 3:23 PM Tim Rozet
<tro...@redhat.com<mailto:tro...@redhat.com>> wrote:

On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 3:36 AM Dumitru Ceara
<dce...@redhat.com<mailto:dce...@redhat.com>> wrote:
On 6/9/20 3:47 PM, Tim Rozet wrote:
> Hi Dumitru,

Hi Tim,

> Thanks for the detailed explanation. It makes sense and would like to
> comment on a few things you touched on:
> 1. I do think we need to somehow functionally trigger conntrack when we
> do ofproto-trace. It's the only way to know what the real session state
> ends up being, and we need to be able to follow that for some of the
> complex bugs where packets are getting dropped after they enter a CT
> based flow.
> 2. For your ovn-global-trace, it would be great if that could return a
> json or other parsable format, so that we could build on top of it with
> a tool + GUI to graphically show where the problem is in the network.

Ack.

> 3. We really need better user guides on this stuff. Your email is the
> best tutorial I've seen yet :) I didn't even know about the
> ovs-tcpundump command, or ovn-detrace (until you told me previously). It
> would be great to add an ovn troubleshooting guide or something to the docs.

I was planning on sending a patch to update the OVN docs but didn't get
the chance to do it yet.

> As an administrator I would like to have GUI showing all of the logical
> switch ports (skydive as an example, already does this) and then click
> on a specific port that someone has reported an issue on. At that point
> I can click on the port and ask it to tcpdump me the traffic coming out
> of it. From there, I can select which packet I care about and attempt to
> do an ovn-global-trace on it, which will then show me where the packet
> is getting dropped and why. I think this would be the ideal behavior.

That would be cool. Using your example (skydive) though, I guess one
could also come up with a solution that directly uses the tools already
existing in OVS/OVN essentially performing the steps that something like
ovn-global-trace would do.

They could, but I think it would be better off living in OVN and then consumed
by something above it.

Thanks,
Dumitru

ovn-kubernetes+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:ovn-kubernetes+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ovn-kubernetes/CADO7ZnpZ%2BMp_9TbTbc2w1UWcnN%3DSeViD1DHeaaDiVpxfsDwRVQ%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ovn-kubernetes/CADO7ZnpZ%2BMp_9TbTbc2w1UWcnN%3DSeViD1DHeaaDiVpxfsDwRVQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
ovn-kubernetes+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:ovn-kubernetes+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ovn-kubernetes/CALbOP4G0xDZoo3_OygF9Md1T_YE1eLKPAf0G2VAtNt%3Dy5pOmHA%40mail.gmail.com<https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ovn-kubernetes/CALbOP4G0xDZoo3_OygF9Md1T_YE1eLKPAf0G2VAtNt%3Dy5pOmHA%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.