On Mon, Feb 15, 2021 at 2:52 PM Daniel Alvarez Sanchez
<dalva...@redhat.com> wrote:
> Recently we found out that due to a misconfiguration of the OVN bridge
> mappings, traffic that should be sent out to an external bridge was tunneled
> to the destination. Since the traffic was working, it took a while to spot
> the misconfiguration.
>
> While this can be ok as it keeps everything functional, it can have an impact
> in the throughput and the overall performance. The intent of this email is to
> gather feedback as to whether we should keep this behavior or rather, drop
> the traffic and log the misconfiguration issue (like patch-port is missing,
> review the bridge mappings configuration?).

This is a feature. The fact that OVN does not require all chassis in
the network to have external connectivity gives it a higher degree of
flexibility when compared to other solutions.

If you operate OVN as an overlay on top of a L3-only CLOS fabric
without EVPN it is required functionality. It allows you to tunnel N/S
traffic to chassis in the physical vicinity of the data center border
routers and avoid spanning a shared L2 across your DC fabric.

OVN used to log the configuration excessively [0], and since then it
has luckily been squelched into a single log message [1].

If you are suggesting this may be a source of supportability issues in
case one has missed the one log message, perhaps we need some way of
making this state observable through a call to `ovn-appctl` or
something similar?

0: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ovn/+bug/1865127
1:
https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/openvswitch/patch/20200519155816.24508-3-ihrac...@redhat.com/