Hello, Jake,

On Tue, Dec 13, 2022 at 3:29 AM Jake Yip via discuss
<ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In OVN, NB and SB databases run on TCP 6641 and 6642 by default.
>
> I've noticed in many docs[1], the SSL configs are to set SSL on 6641/6642.
>
> Personally, this is unlike many protocols which will use a different
> port for SSL traffic. For example HTTP/HTTPS, IMAP/IMAPS.
>
> I'm wondering if there is a reason this was not recommended?
>
> In our setup, we have set our SSL ports to 6645/6656. This has the
> advantage of also allowing ptcp:6641/6642, so clients can connect either
> way.
>
> I am wondering if we might be missing anything by setting it up this way.

>From my point of view, using SSL/TLS with the OVSDB server in an OVN
deployment is a requirement, as the OVSDB protocol itself does not
provide any form of authentication/authorization. And since we are not
configuring TCP listeners, just re-using the default ones for SSL/TLS
makes sense in our deployments.

--
Frode Nordahl