Hi!

On a Proxmox VE cluster using openvswitch v2.15.0 (as present in
Debian/bullseye[1]) we ran into a serious problem: after the
openvswitch-switch/ovs-vswitchd service restart the OVS bridge lost
its IP address and the interface stayed down.

As it turned out this issue got already fixed by Ilya Maximets with
https://github.com/openvswitch/ovs/commit/bc0aa785a83c11dab482b3e20736b969174d9f86
("ovsdb-idl: Fix the database update signaling if it has never been connected.")

What was special about this issue for us is that we noticed
the problem *only* on multi-CPU systems (systems with >=2 CPUs).
Furthermore the issue didn't show up on any of our systems running
with Intel CPUs, but only on systems running with AMD CPUs. :)

I'm curious, is this related to a concurrency/race condition?
And I'd like to understand whether this Intel vs. AMD behavior is
only coincidence related to different kernel/userland/libdpdk/...
environments, or if that could really show up as vendor specific
behavior as we saw it? :)

Thanks!

[1] We reported this also towards Debian, full details at
https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=1008684#52 and a
fixed openvswitch package is on its way towards Debian/bullseye now,
see https://bugs.debian.org/1030113).

regards
-mika-