On 4/20/23 03:39, Eldhose Mathew wrote:
Hey Ray, thank for your response,

if we can't change the vDS option keeping vDS can we configure OVS on esxi hosts? If yes, how do we configure OVS on esxi hosts?  my requirement is to get the PG (portgroup)  with VXLAN capabilities in the vcenter,

nothing in ESXi/vsphere/vcenter/vmware is interchangeable

some third party products may do so, but I certainly wouldn't attempt such a feat

if you really want to run OVS, then build a VM, run it there, and hook everything up to that instead

but at that point, I'd build my own non-vsphere/non-esxi host instead.

because if you want VXLAN capability, you'll also want/require FRR to get you the EVPN side of things -- and to do that, you really want host level access, something not possible with the platform you are inquiring about

Or..... go the NSX route, but that won't get you vxlan, it will get you geneve -- last time I checked, anyway

On Thu, Apr 20, 2023 at 10:14 AM Raymond Burkholder via discuss <ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org <mailto:ovs-discuss@openvswitch.org>> wrote:

    On 4/19/23 07:47, Eldhose Mathew via discuss wrote:

     > I am looking to configure Open vSwitch (OVS) on the vSphere
    environment
     > to replace vSphere Distributed Switch (vDS). Can someone help me
    find a
     > reference wiki to guide me on how to configure OVS on ESXi hosts?

    Is that even possible?  vDS is entrenched in the whole configuration &
    monitoring aspect of ESXi.

    I suggest ignore that self flagellation and go with a Proxmox solution
    and install your OVS/FRR directly there.  Far less painful.