From: Numan Siddique <num...@ovn.org>
Sent: May 19, 2023 04:27 PM
To: Tony Liu
Cc: ovs-dev; ovs-discuss; Vladislav Odintsov
Subject: Re: [ovs-dev] [ovs-discuss] connect VM on OVN/OVS and BMS on L2

On Fri, May 19, 2023 at 12:09 AM Tony Liu <tonyliu0...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Numan,
>
> Provider VLAN networks is able to connect VM and BMS on L2.
> I am going to push this topic further.
>
> Provider VLAN network is different from regular virtual network.
> It seems that I can't create a logical router to connect a provider VLAN
> and regular VN. The way I am using provider VLAN is as external network
> whose GW is on physical router. Also in a multi-tenancy cloud, provider
> VLAN network can't be created by user. I wonder if we can build a regular
> VN to connect VM and BMS?
>
> OVN is using Geneve which is not commonly supported by networking devices.
> VxLAN doesn't seem to be an option cause OVN needs Geneve to carry metadata.
> I see some vxlan supports in OVN but not sure how it works or for which case
> exactly.
>
> Tungsten Fabric supports this because it uses vxlan as the overlay. To
> connect VM
> to BMS, vrouter will create a vxlan from compute node to BMS VTEP (typically
> the ToR).
> That's how BMS is brought into overlay by vxlan, and will be treated just
> like a VM.
> With the EVPN support in control plane, routing info is populated between
> vrouter
> and VTEPand. And with some orchestration to networking devices, the networking
> support to BMS is seamless. One concern is that no SG for BMS, which can be
> actually supported by networking device.
>
> Can the similar supported by OVN or any other overlay solution supported by
> OVN
> to connect BMS?

I think I should have asked this question earlier.  What is BMS ?   I
presumed it to be Bare metal server
and thought that you want to communicate a bare metal server on your
L2 network and a VM in OVN logical switch with localnet port.

OVN supports ovn-controller-vtep to connect OVN to a vtep switch.  I
don't have much experience there.

Maybe you can check it out ?
https://www.ovn.org/support/dist-docs/ovn-controller-vtep.8.html

Adding @Vladislav Odintsov  to the thread who has been using
ovn-controller-vtep to connect to a vtep switch and if he has any
comments.

Thanks
Numan