On 11/1/23 21:28, Sri kor via discuss wrote:
> Hii,

Hi Srini,

> At times, when I allocate a VM to a compute node, the network fails to
> learn an ARP entry. This issue occurs randomly, making it challenging to
> predict when it will happen. I am interested in logging any instances
> where the controller sends a Gratuitous ARP (GARP) to better understand
> and address this problem.I am not sure ovn-controller is sending the
> GARP or not.  Is this a known issue?
>
> When we run into this issue, ovn-controller restart is fixing the problem.

Before v23.09.0 it was expected behavior that only a limited number of
gARPs were sent (4 packets with exponential backoff).  In v23.09.0
there's a new addition, an ovn-controller external-id that allows users
to change this behavior and enable continuous gARPs with an explicit
maximum backoff:

https://github.com/ovn-org/ovn/commit/0d021216cf43911bb9a7afa8bec90993a3231b0e

> Any other hacks work-arounds to fix the problem?

I don't think there's a way to work around this and you probably need to
upgrade to 23.09.0 and set:

ovs-vsctl set Open_vSwitch . external_ids:garp-max-timeout-sec=<X-sec>

This will make ovn-controller generate gARPs at max X seconds intervals,
continuously.

> Thanks
>
> Srini

Thanks,