They were extremely basic (3 rules) and not very useful.  Merely changing
the title or name would bypass the rules.  Detecting malicious web
shells/backdoors is better left to a script that you invoke using
@inspectFile while files are being uploaded or @fuzzyHash.

Here's an article on using @fuzzyHash -
https://www.trustwave.com/Resources/SpiderLabs-Blog/ModSecurity-Advanced-Topic-of-the-Week--Detecting-Malware-with-Fuzzy-Hashing/
You can download commonly used web shells and then use ssdeep and
@fuzzyHash to detect them.

--
Osama Elnaggar

On October 16, 2018 at 5:24:02 PM, Ewald Dieterich (ew...@mailbox.org)