Is 10 year old temperature data really worth ANYTHING? (Unless you are the
weather forecasters.)?

While the "cost per megabyte" is low, that assumes that the machine you use
to store it... and the backup tapes and labor you use to back it up, and the
staff you take to support the processes are "free"..

Just because you can isn't a good reason to store piles of useless data...

Tell me.. do you remember where sensor 10.2C0442000800 was 10 years ago?
Or what the configuration of all the machines in all the racks was?
Do you even HAVE the same machines you had 10 years ago?
I thought not.

:-)

Steve

[In a message on Sat, 11 Jun 2005 12:00:19 PDT,
  "Vadim Tkachenko" wrote:]
>jerry scharf wrote:
>
>> I would not use RRD or anything like that to handle the data directly.
>> At a dollar per GB, why not keep all the sensor data forever? Then use
>> alarm tools, RRD and the like working against the data store. You
>> never know what question you might want to ask tomorrow, and without
>> raw data you lose that ability. All you need to capture is the sensor
>> id, type, value and sample time. Given the research flavor of the
>> site, this seems quite reasonable.
>
>I'd second that. I've been collecting the raw data for DIY Zoning
>project since 2001 (up to 10 sensors) - and the trace file is barely
>over 10M in size.
>
>On the other hand, RRD and suchlike are handy for keeping statistics,
>data visualization etc. So I'd suggest storing the data both in the raw
>trace and RRD - the overhead is minimal.
>
>Oh, and when you store the raw data, make sure that it is in a
>grep(1)pable and cut(1)table format - helps a lot.
>
>> Jerry Scharf
>
>--vt

Steve