Well, I checked out the plain ewrt version too, it compiles fine, and
version.h is indeed made during the make.

What seems to happen with the patched version is that it requires
version.h while it is building fuse, which seems to be before it has
been written (maybe because fuse comes before linux alphabetically?).

My link fulfils the requirement for the file to exist, and then gets
overwritten by the proper file later. This is obviously a very doubtful
way of working, as they may well not match.

Should I build ewrt, then patch it and then rebuild?

BTW: Thanks for the explanation of why make clean is so problematic.
Also I am pretty sure that my awk is working fine, the awk error was
because the file didn't exist.

Paul Hilton