G'Day,

        I tried using owfs on my OMAP board, but even after I added basic
support for the DS2431, it did not list the device in /mnt/1wire --- I
am assuming that this is largely because of the unusual environment that
I am operating under.  Given the report that I had a bad adaptor, this
assumption seems fairly likely.

        This board has hardware support for 1-Wire, so I decided that taking
advantage of that would be the best way to go.  By directly accessing
registers, I was able to confirm that I could use this to access the
device where owfs failed, but due to a hardware bug you *have* to use
interrupt driven I/O.

        I have now just finished writing a kernel module which handles the
OMAP's hardware support for 1-Wire, and have used a test program to
interact with the DS2431.  All that remains to do is have a nice, user
program that can handle interactions with any number of any kind of
1-Wire device.  Since one happens to be available here, I figured the
best approach would be to add in support for my driver to owlib.

        I am reading through the source to try and work out how this would best
be done, but I thought it would be a good idea to ask the developers how
they would suggest going about it: after all, you have a much better
idea of how this all works than I am likely to figure out in the next
few days.

        I figure that since you already support (or, in some cases, plan to
support) different protocols (serial, USB, etc), you would have designed
the program in such a way that a new one can be added without having to
pull your hair out: I want to add the omap-on-board-using-kernel-driver
method.  I have made the driver pretty simple (being my first driver, it
could not be anything *but* simple), and as such you only have to open()
a /dev/ file (eg /dev/owire) then write() and read() as needed.

        Would it be much work for me to add support for this?  Assuming this is
not something only a person out of his mind would attempt, does anyone
have any suggestions about how best to go about this?

        -- Matthew