I sent this off-list yesterday but since the topic is ongoing on the list
now, i thought i'd throw my 2 cents in.

Hi Gregg,

I could see where owfs would be benifical in robotics - mainly in
environment & self system monitoring etc, but not in i/o control (yet
anyway).

I've tried owfs using small 8 bit (8 bi directional) and 16 bit (8 in & 8
out) io controllers but the delays are too great for motor/relay
switching.

I can see owfs in robotics being perfect in regards to the power
management (ie: battery(s) level/load, charging status, misc temps,
runtime calcs) and the A/D 1w stuff would be great for measuring
volts/current on different circuits for fault protection etc. I think
real-time A/D is a little too fast for owfs and parallel port/ISA/PCI/USB
io seems to be the only way to do it (for now anyway).

owfs and 1w devices would be handy for the robot-to-base interconnectivity
as well. Something like a custom plug with ethernet and/or usb2 and a 1w
that allows the robot to hotplug when it returns to base. The ethernet/usb
could be just for large data transfers, and the 1w for system
id/charging/monitoring - the robot could even be allowed to sleep (turning
off ethernet/usb ports) and the 1wfs could trigger the system wake-up (a
simple 1w switch connected to the robot pc's sleep button even) from a
owfs master on the charging/base end. Another neat little owfs system
could run and monitor the charging/base station as well.

Thats pretty much my ideas on owfs and robotics, hope thats what you were
looking for response wise. Happy to throw around some more ideas too.

Regards,

Rohan Murch.