From: "Alfille, Paul H.,M.D."
Sent: Mon May 15 2006 18:42:15 GMT-0500 (CDT)
To: owfs-developers@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: RE: [Owfs-developers] OWFS - Temp Trakker Source

Looks like pretty nice code.

I gather tempscripts (tempscripts.tar.gz) are perl scripts to add data to a SQL
database.

The PHP code runs the web interface and gathers data from the database.

Using a database as the intermediary makes sense. A clear separation of
function. You can also manage permissions a little more simply.

You use the fuse filesystem as the interface to 1-wire.. This has good points
and bad points. It's certainly stable (I've had it run 9 months straight without
problems), but requires fuse and proper file permissions. You could use owperl,
and access 1-wire directly. This is a little inefficient unless you make your
perl script persistent (loop and sleep). Your current technique seems to be to
use cron to start the data gathering, in which case the filesystem is a good
choice.

If you want remote monitoring, there are several choices:
1. A remote server (even an appliance like the NSLU2) and use owserver to
connect to owfs locally.
2. A remocte server and use the database access function over the net.
You can even use a combination.

Also, if you want to pool data from more than one location, run owserver at
each, and owfs locally can connect to several.

Paul