On 12/12/06, Matt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I just though I take the time to to say thanks to the developers and support
> contributors of OWFS.
>
> I work for a non-profit research institute and I've been able to implement
> some cost effective environmental monitoring.
> First our server room, and now this week we extend it into some
> laboratories.
> This all works with our existing Nagios setup, Debian + owserver + owread +
> Nagios.

Don't know if you're interested, but there's a new nagios plugin based
on the ownet Python module. It's located under
module/swig/python/ownet/examples/check_ow.py. The ownet module runs
on any platform supported by Python without having the whole owfs
system installed locally. It does this by implementing the owserver
protocol in Python. The big advantage that I see is to allow for
easier installations. Install the full owfs on the system with the
1-wire devices connected and run owserver there. Install the ownet
module on the system (Windows, FreeBSD, Linux, OS X, whatever) running
Nagios. The check_ow program running on the Nagios server talks
directly to the owserver program running on the owfs server to collect
data. Makes for a nice easy setup.

Of course I could just be imagining that it make for an easier installation ;-)

- Peter