On 9/16/07, Rob Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Matthias...If you happened to have some startup scripts you could send me
> and advise where to place them that would be great....OH will they work if
> do not have a root account....I read somewhere that owfs needed root
> account, although I could enable it disabling root for an internet
> connected
> machine seemed to have merits ?...email scripts to
> rjconway"at"bigpond.com

In theory, owfs doesn't need root access.
1. The USB or serial port needs to be accessible by the user. This requires
either udev magic (2.6 kernels) or hotplug magic (2.4 kernels).
1a. The DS9490 can't be claimed by the w1 driver -- this may require root
unloading of ds9490r.ko
2. serial ports need to be accessible -- permission on /dev/ttySn
4. owserver can't use a privileged port (<1024), nor can owhttpd use 80 or
owftpd use 22

Even if owserver is run as root, you can insulate it from the outside by
binding it only to local addresses and run another accessible owserver as a
"relay"

Paul Alfille