I just plugged it together with some RJ11 cabling.   Both the RJ11 cable
and the blue dot cable have the same wires connected (green and red, if
you are looking at them from the latch side).  Perhaps the sockets are
wired differently?

According to AAG's manual, the RJ11 socket is wired with pin 3 as OW
Data and pin 4 as OW Rtn.    The datasheet is here
http://www.aagelectronica.com/pdf%20docs/TAI8558%201-Wire%20IO%20Module.pdf
It would seem that the DS9097U is wired the same, according to this
http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS9097U-009-DS9097U-S09.pdf
datasheet (in confusing fashion, the pin numbering is reversed, but they
should be physically the same...).   The DS9490R is wired the same way
http://pdfserv.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS9490-DS9490R.pdf including the
correct pin numbering.

So, I'm assuming my wiring is OK.   I did get confused for a second
reading the datasheets because of the different number....

Any other ideas?

Chris