Hi,

I'm in the thick of designing my test rig. It is now over 350 points
mixed between thermocouples and 18b20s. I decided on 3 buses with
ds2482-100s to handle this. These and some other things (I2C drivers and
power) I need will sit on a beaglebone cape. Everything will be running
at 3.3V

I am designing a little board to handle the 8 thermocouples using
max31850s and will also have 8 rj45s to handle 18b20s soldered onto the
end of ethernet cable. There is power and ground and a data in and out
to keep the bus topology. Because I don't know how many will be 18b20s
connected, I am putting a dip switch that will allow the bus to bypass
open rj45s.

This got me thinking about how long a stub I can have running from the
bus to the actual device. I know an inch on a board trace is fine, but
how long a stub can I get away with and still have the bus being happy?
I am wondering if the rj45 cable is 1-2 feet long, could I just leave
the switch shorted and plug the cable in?

I'm not planning to run it this way, but I was thinking in the case
where a configuration changes and someone forgets to open the switch
when they plug the cable in.

While I'm at it, do people put a pull up resistor on the end of their
buses? I haven't done so in the past but am wondering with a setup that
really can't fail. If so, what value should it be? I'd just solder a
resistor on the end of a stub of ethernet cable then shrink wrap it.

thanks,
jerry