Kristof,

Sorry to sound like a broken record, but this is all in the datasheet.
See, for example, here:

http://datasheets.maximintegrated.com/en/ds/DS1921H-DS1921Z.pdf

You cannot change mission parameters while a mission is active
(rollover, for example). This must be done when no mission is active.
The parameters are read-only during a mission.

"Running" I assume refers to the Mission In Progress parameter, which
you may write zero to to stop a mission, but cannot write 1 to to start
one (this is done with Enable Mission).

See pages 9 and 14 of the datasheet for help starting a mission, and
page 36 for a stepwise example.

Colin