Am 11.02.2015 um 17:02 schrieb Lukasz Salwinski:

> I see... I've been religiously inserting ds2482 module. Does it mean
> I only need i2c_bcm2708  and i2c_dev modules ? Besides ds2482 (explicitly
> inserted) modprobe also returns

That's correct. Owfs can (and with --i2c= will) directly talk to all
DS2482 via /dev/i2c-X.

You can however use the --w1 option instead and Owfs will talk to the
host adaptor through the kernel driver. That has the advantage the
kernel sees the chips on the bus, too, and you can use the usual tools
to get their sampled data e.g. lmsensors for temperature readout.

The biggest disadvantage of --w1 is that you can't tell on which bus a
chip exactly is, should you have more than one. The w1 system does not
supply that information IIRC.

And it's a bit slower as the kernel driver polls the bus by itself for
new devices and thus, congests it with transfers that may be of no use
in your application. Using Owfs without --w1 does not do initiate any
onewire transfers when not told so by the applications. The difference
is negligible when you aren't connecting real-time I/O by onewire, however.

Kind regards

        Jan