Dear OWFS Developpers

First I'm using OWFS for several months now and are generally very satisfied by
this nice and useful software - nice job and please carry on! :)

The reason why I write this is in summary that I am confused by the LCD control
situation as given by [1] and [2]. Exactly speaking the Maxim and AagElectronica
designs.

[1] http://owfs.org/index.php?page=lcd
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/p/owfs/mailman/owfs-developers/thread/45BE3E8F.4040905%40proquariat.de/#msg10970280

I was looking for a supplier (here in Switzerland) for any 1wire LCD. I was
able to
get a Louis Swart and a LCD Display 163 [3]. Could not find any supplier for
other
LCD devices - since they are either obsolete, the company does not sell to my
region or does not exist anymore.

[3]
http://www.eservice-online.de/media/pdf/Bedienungsanleitung%20LCD%20Display%20163.pdf
 (in German)

The issue now is; if I look at the Maxim "4bit design" in [2] (see [4]) and
compare it
to the AagElectronica in [1] and to the EService one [3] (pin assignment table
on
page 3) they are all the same with respect to the LCD control lines (P0-P4). And
according to [1] are "Supported as 29.xxxxxxxxxxxxx/LCD_M/".

[4] http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS2408.pdf

However this does not work (tested it) and must somehow be wrong considering
again
[1] and the given "Maxim" design schematic [5] "Supported as
29.xxxxxxxxxxxxx/LCD_M/"
as well as the Maxim "8bit design" mentioned in [2] and [6]. As mentioned in
[6] the
Maxim design (LCD_M) must be the 8bit one and is thus NOT the AagElectronica
design!
This fits with my observations since the EService LCD switches background light
which
is controlled by the other pins, when trying to write text.

[5] http://www.maxim-ic.com/images/appnotes/3286/3286Fig01.pdf
[6] http://sourceforge.net/p/owfs/mailman/message/10209248/

So from what I can see the Maxim "Reference" Design "Figure 18. DS2408 AS SLAVE
INTERFACE FOR INTELLIGENT DISPLAY" mentioned in [4] page 29 is not implemented
in OWFS yet, correct? I would like to request to implement this feature. May be
easiest
way is to derive from HobbyBoards since this is know to work with 4bits [7]
(upper
instead of the lower nibble). May be just have a switch to configure which one
to use...

[7] http://sourceforge.net/p/owfs/mailman/message/31840734/

I am willing to help coding and testing, if someone familiar with the code
could guide me.

Thanks a lot and Greetings
Ursin Solèr