Am 31.03.2016 um 23:31 schrieb Johan Ström:
> Great, now we have the exact source of the problem at least :)
>
> I'm wondering if that code is actually right (with or without
> patch).. Not sure what LCD_COMMAND_ATTENTION is intended to do? And
> shouldn't LCD_COMMAND_4_BIT be written with NIBBLE_CTRL?

No, for the display it's okay that way. It should send

0x3_
0x3_
0x3_
0x2_
0x2_
0x8_

When the display is in 8-bit mode initially, the nibble sequence means

set 8-bit mode (0x3_)
set 8-bit mode (0x3_)
set 8-bit mode (0x3_)
set 4-bit mode (0x2_)
---display is in 4-bit mode now---
set 4-bit mode and display parameters (0x2n)

When the display is in 4-bit mode initially, the sequence means

set 8-bit mode (0x33)
---display is in 8-bit mode now---
set 8-bit mode (0x3_)
set 4-bit mode (0x2_)
---display is in 4-bit mode now---
set 4-bit mode and display parameters (0x2n)

When the display is in 4-bit mode initially, and the low nibble of the
preceding byte wasn't sent yet, the sequence means

garbage nibble (0x_3)
set 8-bit mode (0x33)
---display is in 8-bit mode now---
set 4-bit mode (0x2_)
---display is in 4-bit mode now---
set 4-bit mode and display parameters (0x2n)

Kind regards

        Jan