Sorry for the confusione between message payload and message size… I forgot
about this difference:
https://github.com/owfs/owfs/blob/d0c3abac8f16d38c0fe5fb9e0c62c57f2e6696fb/module/owlib/src/include/ow_message.h#L45-L63

<https://github.com/owfs/owfs/blob/d0c3abac8f16d38c0fe5fb9e0c62c57f2e6696fb/module/owlib/src/include/ow_message.h#L45-L63>
(but in most cases payload == size, or payload == size+1 to accomodate for a
terminating null byte)

So I confirm: headers with payload == -1 are to be discarded and the client
should continue waiting for the answer.

S.