> The idea is to support theming in ownCloud to make this kind of changes
> easiert.

This would be very handy :)

> Formfactors:
> All parts of the core and every app has a template, a js and a css folder. We
> could extend the templating and the js/css loader that it first looks for a
> foo-mobile.php template if the app wants to load the foo.php template and the
> current formfactor is "mobile". If it finds the file it loads it. If not if
> falls back to the default foo.php. The same logic for the js and css files.
> By doing this we don´t have to implement the complete interface right now for
> all formfactors. We can do this over time. And if one App developer want´s to
> provide a special tablet optimized css he just add an additional css with
> this special name and it´s automatically used.

I was thinking along similar lines too. Are we still looking to use jQuery
mobile for the mobile framework?

> Theming:
> I propose a similar system for the theming. We add a "theme" config option to
> the config.php so that the theme can be configured during deployment and
> controlled from the outside without the need to understand our database
> structure.
> We add "themes" directory into /core where every theme has a directory named
> after the theme name.
> The template and css loader looks into the selected theme directory first for
> templates and css files and loads them if a file is present. If not it just
> falls back to the default files in the individual app directories. This has
> the benefit that the person who creates the themes can override what ever has
> to be changed but don´t have to provide a complete new frontend.
> The directory structure inside the themes folder is the same as the rest of
> owncloud. This means that a theme developer can just put a different
> "apps/contacts/css/styles.css" in the theme directory to change the style of
> the contacts app.

Sounds good. Where should we store / develop themes? Something similar to
app.owncloud.com would be cool, but maybe just a git repo would do for now.

Also should we have a similar interface to 'Apps' in the admin where users can
select the theme and/or upload new ones?

Tom

Tom Needham
t...@owncloud.com