Robert I was able to do this with our owncloud setup. First thing to do is not to modify the main core and settings folders. Instead copy the original core and settings folder to a new folder in the 'themes' folder. In my case I made a 'engr' folder under 'themes'. then edit the config/config.php files and set the line to use your new theme:
    'theme' => 'engr',

Go into themes/engr/core/img

I didn't have a editor that works on svg so I modified the png files logo.png and logo-wide.png and then soft linked the logo.svg and logo-wide.svg to point to the png files (not sure this is necessary but it didn't hurt anything).

Also had to modify some of the templates:
themes/engr/core/templates/layout.guest.php (search for logo.svg and replace with logo.png)
themes/engr/core/templates/layout.user.php (same here. )

Forgot also change the class="svg" to class="png" on the same lines as the logo images defined.

There might be some other files I missed in here.